Thursday, November 2, 2017

Meet Reynolds Honors Student Grace Swal


What brought you to Reynolds?
My decision to come to J Sargeant Reynolds stemmed from one of my biggest failures and is proving to be one of my biggest successes. After the birth of my daughter in 2007, I was one hundred percent sure college was where I needed to be and that I would be able to take on the work load. Needless to say, my experience of attempting college with an infant was humbling, and I would later come to recognize I was not as mature, or sure of where I wanted to go in life as I thought I was. After a series of struggling semesters, I eventually flunked out of college on academic probation. That experience allowed me to see that I still needed to grow as a person, and as a student of the world. As life went on I was shaped by my life experiences and matured into a very different person than I was during my first attempt at college. I had established a life passion in business and gender studies and a life goal to start my own non-profit and several business ventures. Several failed attempts later, and a trend appeared, I found myself looking at going back into school in order to get degrees in business administration and social science so that I could be taken seriously. After a discussion with the administration of my previous college I discovered that I would not be able to receive financial aid if I returned, due to my past GPA, they suggested I try another community college. It was then I looked to J Sargeant Reynolds with the simple hope of being able to get financial aid so that I could get my degree. Through J Sargeant Reynolds I have been able to not only work on getting my degree with financial aid, but I have been given a fresh start. I am now an adult student with a 4.0 GPA who is in the honors program and several steps closer to achieving my life goals. 

What sparked your interest in your field of study?
My interest into business administration and social sciences with a focus in entrepreneurship and gender studies stems from embracing my inner truths and my determination to find success on my own terms. Growing up I witnessed my parents paving their own success as the owners of their own independent businesses, I witnessed their struggles and their triumphs, and I grew up understanding the pride and passion it takes to own and run your own business. Even as a young child I always knew I wanted to run my own business, and have always had a series of ideas for business ventures in my head, more importantly I always wanted to make a difference in this world through my potential businesses. So, when I fully embraced myself as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community, and choose to live loving all of my eccentricities, I saw what I perceived as a need in this world and I choose to fill that need. That need has become my life passion, and life goal; I decided to start an Adult Sexual Education Center and I have already spent several years working toward this goal. I recognized in order to accomplish my goal I would need to get to get my degree and have decided to pursue an MBA in entrepreneurship and go as far as I can academically with gender studies to properly educate myself as to how to run such a center and become an expert in the field of Gender Studies and related fields. 


What is the best part of participating in the Honors Program at Reynolds?
The best part of participating in the Honors Program at Reynolds for me, is the many opportunities the honors program makes available that I otherwise would never have had. Through the honors program I have been able to attend a variety of events, and life experiences such as attending the Virginia Collegiate Honors Conference at Virginia Tech, and participating in the Launchpad workshop that was provided by a collection of graduate students from VCU. Even now I am preparing to attend a graduate school information day that I would have never known was happening if not for the honors program. It’s not just the off-campus activities that provide amazing opportunities either, during the weekly honors hours workshops are often offered that provide insights into valuable skills, and tools that are useful not just to my academic career but life in general. These opportunities have allowed me the opportunities to meet likeminded individuals and peers, to network with professors and professionals in the academic world, and to better myself as an individual and as a student. 

When you aren’t studying or working, what do you like to do for fun?
When I am not studying or working I like to further educate myself on current social issues and work on starting my non-profit. I am also the President of the Spectrum LGBTQIA+ club on campus and enjoying working with my fellow club members in order to make positive change on campus. I am also a huge geek who loves video games, reading, and running 5k’s. 

What is your greatest struggle as a student?
My greatest struggle as a student is overcoming my anxieties, and accomplishing my classes within a set format. I am much more of a free spirit when it comes to learning, I learn well by exploring topics that interest me and teaching myself, often in a more hands-on format. In order to accomplish my goals, I am having to completely reestablish how I learn, and work to make sure to keep myself organized. This also helps to keep my anxieties surrounding school as low as possible. The honors program has been beneficial in that it not only is allowing me to challenge myself and push myself to be the best I can be but it also offers learning opportunities more similar to a hands on style, that are more focused on true comprehension then memorization. 

What is the best class you have taken and why?The best class I have taken so far, and the best honors course I have taken so far is my current English Course I am taking with an honors contract. The reason is that through this course I am being given the opportunity to work on bettering my academic writing, by writing a research paper on the effect of adult sexual education on sexual health with the goal of attempting to be published in an academic journal. This is yet another amazing opportunity I never would have had if not for the honors program. 

Where would you most like to travel? 
I would most like to travel to France in order to further explore my heritage and my love of the culture and to Korea, as I am also fascinated by Korean culture. Mostly I would like to opportunity to explore and gather the beautiful life experiences that can be gained by experiencing other cultures and traveling around the world.


Where do you want to go from here?
After completing my associates degrees in Business Administration and Social Science, I intend to transfer to VCU and work to pursue an MBA in Business Administration with a focus in entrepreneurship and hopefully and PhD in Gender Studies. I also intend to open up an Adult Sexual Education Center and establish myself as an expert in the field of Gender Studies, and pursue my many business ventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reynolds Honor Student Ryan Lingo Volunteers at NASA Event Ryan Lingo has a goal, but he isn’t waiting for that goal to materialize. H...