Thursday, October 26, 2017

Meet Reynolds Honors Student Jeremiah Meadows

What brought you to Reynolds?
I was enrolled in courses at the community college in my hometown, in the Harrisonburg, Virginia area. Then, I moved to Chesterfield with my significant other. When planning to transfer, I was torn between Reynolds and another local college, but chose Reynolds because of its convenient downtown location, and because I felt that I more closely identified with Reynolds’ values.

What sparked your interest in your field of study?
As I am ultimately interested in a law degree, I have recognized the qualities and skills that I possess that will be beneficial to me as an attorney. Additionally, I very closely followed the marriage equality case that was argued in the U.S. Supreme Court in June of 2015. I am an LGBTQ+ ally and that case was life-changing for some of my friends and their families. I took notice of the major change that the Supreme Court was able to create through the law, and I wanted to participate in that in the future. My baccalaureate studies at VCU this spring in Political Science and Philosophy will prepare me for law school and for creating change through the U.S. government.

What is the best part of participating in the Honors Program at Reynolds?
The more engaging course content has been excellent, and I am always pleased about the foundation that the honors program creates for student-professor professional relationships. When I spent more time at the Parham campus in the spring, I also really enjoyed the community hours that provided me with a space to socialize and have academic conversations with my peers in my honors cohort.

When you aren’t studying or working, what do you like to do for fun?
I enjoy watching television or film dramas and comedies that often provide me with content that engages my analytical and philosophical mind, where I will question the implications of the characters actions, the content of the narrative, or the writer’s choices for the scene. Otherwise, I may spend time with friends, play a video game, or refine my skill for photography.

What is your greatest struggle as a student?
Generally, it is my anxiety disorder and lower self-esteem that cause me the greatest issues in my studies. My work and achievements in my classes show that I am successful, however my battle with self-doubt is ongoing. For that, I seek help from a counselor and through quality self-improvement videos on YouTube that assist me in re-training my brain for a healthier opinion of myself. Otherwise, it can sometimes feel like I don't have enough hours in the day to complete my assigned coursework. So, my time-management and task 'triage' skills are heavily engaged with some regularity.

What is the best class you have taken and why?
Ethics Philosophy was a very fulfilling course for me. I was quite in tune with the content and themes of the class. Questions that I couldn’t formulate before were answered. I was taught to avoid logical fallacies so that my reasoning will be stronger, and the ethical principles that I learned help guide me in my actions and judgements every day with more confidence and conviction.

Where would you most like to travel?
I would like to visit Sweden. I find that they have a fantastic society and culture with which I closely identify. I think I would be very happy to live there and be a part of the community with their strong social programs and respectful atmosphere. Also, many musicians that I like are from the Sweden/Scandinavian area.

Where do you want to go from here?
My transfer to VCU this Spring (2018) is underway, where I will double-major in Political Science and Philosophy. After that, my course could change or divert. Currently, I wish to attend Harvard Law School after I receive my baccalaureate degree. However, I could find myself on an academic path toward a deeper pursuit of philosophical study where I may go to graduate school for the discipline. My primary goal for my future career is to work toward eliminating the stark socioeconomic inequality that exists both inside and outside of the United States.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reynolds Honor Student Ryan Lingo Volunteers at NASA Event Ryan Lingo has a goal, but he isn’t waiting for that goal to materialize. H...