Thursday, October 26, 2017

Meet Honors Student Ecaterina Svera

What brought you to Reynolds?
I am international student, and I have always wanted to move and create a life for myself in the US. Since some family of mine lives in Richmond, I was looking into what colleges this city can offer. I knew that starting at a 4-year university would overwhelm me with the completely new to me environment, and a community college with a much smaller student to professor ratio would be a great fit for me, and this is how I found out about Reynolds Community College.

What sparked your interest in your field of study?
I am currently a student in the major of Business Administration here at Reynolds, and what attracted me to it is how absolutely universal the knowledge you get in this major is, and how important it is when trying to find employment. America is the land of opportunities related to starting and developing businesses, and it's a field in which you can utilize a vast array of skills.

What is the best part of participating in the Honors Program at Reynolds?
Probably my favorite thing about the Honors Program at Reynolds is the community it has formed. It has a high concentration of proactive students who are willing to get invested on the campus, and the connections and possibilities that I got just from knowing a handful of Honors students are uncountable. Thanks to the people I came to know through the Honors Program, I applied and got accepted for the position of Student Ambassador on campus, and also am officer of 2 clubs: the International Student Club and the Honors Student Group.

When you aren’t studying or working, what do you like to do for fun?
I'm a very much so a couch potato kind of person, my favourite recreational activity is watching my favorite television shows, reading and drawing.

What is your greatest struggle as a student?
My greatest struggle as a student is probably my struggle with myself. It's the eternal tale of students chasing after deadlines, despite putting in a lot of effort to get ahead of your work. I would not be surprised if students in Ancient Greece complained about not finishing their tablets about poetry on time. Student life has taught me a lot of responsibilities, the most important one being the responsibility over oneself.

What is the best class you have taken and why?
My favourite class I have taken so far must be the Honors section Biology with professor Neal. Despite it being way outside my field of study, I have discovered that it's a thing I enjoy and can be good at if I put in the effort. It was a challenging class to get through because of its material, but the professor was nothing but open to class discussion, and it proved for very stimulating and fun classes.

Where would you most like to travel?
I have traveled to several places already, mostly European countries, and I wish I had the chance to visit something more distant from what I have seen already. My most outstanding travel so far has been Dubai, which contains a radically different culture from what I have experienced so far, so I would love to travel to a very distant place, like eastern/south eastern Asian countries for example.

Where do you want to go from here?
I intend on transferring to the VCU School of Business, to either the Information Systems or Marketing majors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reynolds Honor Student Ryan Lingo Volunteers at NASA Event Ryan Lingo has a goal, but he isn’t waiting for that goal to materialize. H...